Successful angel investor and hacker Gabriel Weinberg developed DuckDuckGo as one of his many side projects over the years. DuckDuckGo is a search engine, but beyond being a great search engine, it adds extra features, and is more of a command line tool. Mighty impressive for a solo effort, and no venture capital was needed.
Features of note:
- zero-click info - get the most common, informative result in a red box at the top
- !bang shortcuts - try "!amazon paris"
- regex checker - try "regexp /hel+o/ hello"
- generate random password – pw
- As you scroll the results it loads in more results.
- keyboard shortcuts
Just check the goodies list - it's nuts!
The video is cued so just push play. Thanks "This Week in Startups" for the free blog fodder.
DuckDuckGo has already caught on in the programmer community as a laser/toolkit to go directly to what you need immediately.
I'm looking forward to seeing more about DuckDuckGo in the news in the near future.
Next post: Ditching GoDaddy